How I Reduce Student Emails in My Inbox
When I first started teaching, I felt like email would never end! In my courses, student emails constantly poured in, and I became hypervigilant about checking my inbox at all hours, including outside business hours and on weekends. I felt like I was the only one between my students and catastrophic learning outcomes. Many years later, I can see how that behavior was unhealthy and that the feeling did not reflect reality, but it was very hard not to fall into that junior teacher trap!
Since then, I have thankfully built much better boundaries and designed a communication system in my courses that results in only a few student emails in my inbox that are very specific to that student’s personal context and no emails related to things like course content, logistics, or policy questions. And this system works for all my courses, from my small 15-student class to my 100+ student class.
Moreover, what started as an attempt to improve my efficiency has also made information more visible, helped my TAs become better teachers, and helped me better understand my students and improve the course materials. In this blog post, I’ll walk through what I do, why you should consider doing it yourself, and ideas on how to do it.
The Guiding Principle
The system’s primary principle is: unless a message contains information that should only be seen by those who can handle confidential student issues, it belongs on the class forum. This is information like extenuating circumstances that require extensions, questions about their grade that can’t be handled by the regrade request system, accommodations, health concerns, etc.
Making the System Work
The most vital part of a system based on this principle is consistency. You may follow exactly how I implemented my system, but if you do not consistently enforce the norms, you will not get similar results. You will see what I mean as you read the rest of this post.
The first step is to put the expected communication in a visible place for students and to provide a rationale for the policy, such as in the syllabus. Here’s what I had in the Spring 2026 offering of my data science class:
We will use Ed Discussion for online discussion. You access it from Canvas. You can post questions anonymously (to classmates), as well as message the instructors. Please use it for technical questions first instead of email. In particular, we encourage you to use it so that (a) you can get a faster response (multiple instructors/TAs or students can reply), (b) your questions don’t get lost in anyone’s email, and © other students can benefit from your questions or comments.
In this syllabus blurb, I have a few things:
- Which platform we use for the online discussions, and how to find it.
- A note that they can post anonymously to lower the barrier to posting.
- Why they should use the platform that aligns most with what they care about: it is the fastest way they will likely get a response to their message. Along with one rationale that signals to them I care about their learning as a cohort.
The second, and in some ways more vital step, is when a student emails me or the class email address, but it does not contain information for only those who can handle confidential student situations, a.k.a. the message could have been on the class forum. The response is almost always something like this:
This is an excellent question to ask in the class discussion forum. Could you please post this question there so everyone can benefit from it? One of the teaching staff or I will answer your question there.
Thank you,
This gently reasserts the boundary that students need to use the class forum and does not reward crossing it by receiving an answer to their question. This is vital! You must enforce this consistently, or students will learn that sending an email sometimes works, so they might as well try first. I’ve found students are almost always reasonable if you respond this way. Typically, my students repost, and my TAs get to it before I do. Other times, I make sure to respond because the answer comes better from me. I’ve never gotten a complaint about this policy. I’ve actually had some students respond to the email, acknowledging that posting on the forum was what they should have done and thanking me for pointing them in that direction.
Why It’s Worth It
At this point, you may be wondering if it is worth the effort and the risk of students disliking being redirected to the class forum. I didn’t quite believe this approach would help when I started doing it either. So, let me list out some benefits to motivate you.
First, you will receive fewer emails. If you don’t answer their question in the email and “force” them to post it on the class forum, they will quickly learn that there is no point in emailing you.
Once a question is answered on the forum, all students benefit from it. Moreover, students will likely get faster responses on the forum than via email.
It also helps students become more effective learners. Seeing the syllabus text and questions on the class forum signals to the students that asking questions is normal and encouraged. This also pushes students to check if their question is already on the forum.
There are also some tangential benefits. Answering questions on the forum gives TAs an opportunity to prepare asynchronously how they would help students. TAs being aware of what is on the class forum are also more effective in office hours because they generally know what students are struggling with and can direct students to a detailed explanation if it is on the forum.
The norm of using the forum also gives TAs a way to end office hours when students are still there looking for help. Rather than leaving students with no recourse, the TA can end office hours by having them post their questions on the forum. The TA can then message the rest of the teaching team in our shared Slack workspace to let them know there are questions on the class forum, along with any extra context.
Finally, I have a record of some of the difficulties in the class materials that I can use to improve future offerings of the course. One of my Head Grader TA’s primary tasks was to review the prior semester’s class forum and create a prioritized list of assignment updates.
Implementation Details
If you’re now convinced to do this, here are a few implementation details that may come in handy.
- Unless you have a reason, let students post anonymously to their peers on the forum. Research shows this usually lowers the barrier to asking questions. It should not be anonymous to staff, though, so you can identify a student abusing the forum. Knowing who the student is also helps the teaching team if they need to pull up relevant information the student didn’t provide.
- Allow students to post privately, but make clear that private posts may become public. The main reason for this is to reduce the student’s cognitive load in determining whether this is a forum message or an email. You want the default to be asking on the forum, but if the student isn’t sure, they can at least make it private, and they have the entire teaching team around to sort out where it belongs.
- Assign TAs to specific days of the week for clearing out all forum posts. This ensures all posts are usually answered within 24 hours. I recommend also auditing this. I use a script to monitor the “health” of the class forum.
- Use post templates if you can. Ed Discussion allows me to specify templates per category. Adding these can drastically improve forum post quality because they tell students exactly what information they need to provide, increasing the odds they’ll get an answer in the first response.
- If multiple people can handle confidential matters, consider using a shared class email address accessible to everyone. For example, my graduate TAs can handle them because they are not undergraduate peers and may be in training to become faculty members, so it is reasonable for them to serve as my proxy when necessary. Moreover, they should at least see how I handle these situations by “peering over my shoulder.” I’ve also given course teaching staff access to the email inbox.
Conclusion
This system, of course, does not eliminate all of the email in my inbox. But it does reduce the flow, so I can focus on the emails that only I can handle, which reduces wait time for those emails. It is also simple for students to understand, which reduces stress or anxiety about asking a question, since they have little to debate when deciding where to ask. Overall, I think it’s a win-win for everyone!
Comments
Post a Comment